About Us

Who are we? What do we believe?

Our History

On January 11, 1917, the idea of what would become Hurley United Methodist Church was born in a small community school house.  Several men that had a desire to form a local Methodist Sunday School and Church met and elected the church’s first officials.  Stewart Hamilton became the first Sunday School superintendent.; and our first minister was John Lovett Carter, a itinerant preacher from Escatawpa.  The church was then added into the Escatawpa Charge.

The Hurley church was officially taken into the Methodist Episcopal Church, South on the 18th of September, 1919.  It also became a part of the eight-point charge known as the Americus Charge.  The first official pastor was Reverend M.E. Allen.

Early church services were held only twice a month and Sunday School continued in the school house until 1921.  That’s when, with the help of Reverend Van R. Landrum, a committee made up of Stewart Hamilton, Joe Jones, and Brant Baria began the process of building a church in Hurley.  A thirty-two-by-forty foot white frame building was erected just a few feet south of the current structure on six acres of land.  Near the end of 1921, the first Hurley Methodist Church building was complete.

In 1932, the church once again became a part of the Escatawpa Charge.  However, the conference decided to assign the church back to the Americus Charge in 1935.

The church’s structure remained the same until 1942.  In March of that year, plans were made to enlarge the size of the church in order to accommodate its growing membership.  Then, once more in 1953, a new building entirely was added. It was a red tile block structure that housed a sanctuary, fellowship hall, kitchen, and four Sunday School rooms.

(additional information will be posted soon.)

Home